Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Bus Stop

Today
I missed the bus.

Every morning at three past eight I
sit on the bench, see the woman
eating her red delicious,
read my newspaper and drink my
coffee -- no cream, two sugars.
At 8:06 the giant transporter
creeps to a stop, hissing and yelping
like a worn-out wildebeast, and
it opens its mouth and we
climb into its belly, sit on its organs --
except

today
I missed the bus.

The fates, snipping at my strings,
tugged my coffee and my marionette arms
dousing my neatly pressed trousers
with java -- khaki to coffee. I went
back to change, threw on some
slacks and was at the stop. 8:07
so

today
I missed the bus.

And I watched it pull away
and I began running after, trying
to make up lost time and
gain ground on the
rolling wildebeast.
and a quarter mile later, you know
what?

I caught the bus.


ED

No comments:

Post a Comment